We all make excuses. Sometimes when I don’t want to do something around the house, I’ll schedule a policy briefing or decide to wash the Jeep.
Just kidding! But it is easy to make excuses when you’re busy. Fortunately, there’s no longer any excuse to avoid registering to vote now that Pennsylvania has online voter registration.’
Here’s how easy it is: go to register.votespa.com, select new registration, enter your information (about as much as you would to buy something online), verify you’re not a robot and click submit. Just a few minutes and you’re done. You can do it from your smartphone or laptop.
Since we’ve made it so quick to register to vote online, here’s eight things in Pittsburgh that will take you more time than registering:
- Driving out of the North Shore after a sporting event
- Finishing a dozen wings from Big Shot Bobs
- Climbing Pitt’s Cardiac Hill or taking the incline to Mt. Washington
- Figuring out how to pronounce “Monongahela”
- Waiting for cheese at the Penn Mac counter
- Walking from CMU to Chatham or from Duquense to Point Park
- Getting a beer at any bar on St. Patrick’s Day
- Riding The Racer and Jack Rabbit at Kennywood
It really is that fast and easy. And most of all, it is really important. This election year is a big one — we’ll elect our next president and a host of statewide and local officials!
If you’ve moved recently or want to vote while on campus, you can also change your address
and other information just as quickly. If you don’t want to type in register.votespa.com into your browser, you can even text ‘PA’ to 2Vote, and we’ll deliver all the information you need.
And remember — you need to register to vote by October 11 to vote in this year’s election. So far, more than a half million Pennsylvanians found the time.
Join them. You’ve got no excuse.