They each started as No. 7 seeds in the bracket.
But after weeks of voting and thousands of ballots cast, the top two proved they were tough contenders and now head to the championship round of this year’s Ultimate Pittsburgh Fish Fry bracket.
Either Ancient Order of Hibernians Division #32 (Carnegie) or Our Lady of Grace (Scott) will soon be named Ultimate Pittsburgh Fish Fry 2018.
AOH trounced its Carnegie neighbor Riley’s Pour House with 84 percent of the vote in the Fire Halls and Social Clubs vs. Eateries match-up. AOH also received the most votes of the final four contenders. And in a closer race, Our Lady of Grace (Scott) bested St. Mary of the Mount (Mount Washington) with 59 percent of the vote in the race between churches west and east.
More than 6,500 ballots were cast during Final Four voting.
Both located in the fish stronghold of Carnegie/Scott Township, here’s a look back at how the final two contenders did throughout the bracket and a bit more about them.
Ancient Order of Hibernians Division #32
302 Mansfield Blvd. (Carnegie)
4 to 7 p.m.
Winning the latest round with more than 80 percent of the vote, AOH hails from the Fire Halls and Social Clubs quadrant of the bracket — aka the most-voted in category throughout this contest.
- AOH made it out of the first round with 65 percent of the vote over Elliot West-End Athletic Association.
- In the Sweet Sixteen, AOH collected 70 percent of the vote over Deutschtown’s Allegheny Elks #339 to be named the top social club of the bracket.
- During the Elite Eight, the social club had its toughest contest against Swissvale VFD, the top fire hall. AOH advanced with 58 percent of the vote, its lowest winning percentage of the bracket.
Fish Facts: Known for hand-breaded haddock and homemade haluski, the AOH fish fry is an opportunity to go to the usually members-only Ukrainian club. A majority of the funds raised are donated to various charities, mostly in Western Pa.
Our Lady of Grace
310 Kane Blvd. (Scott)
4:30 to 7 p.m. (3:30 to 7 p.m. March 30)
Winning its final four matchup with nearly 60 percent of the vote, Our Lady of Grace hails from the Churches West quadrant.
- Our Lady of Grace made it out of the first round with 58 percent of the vote in a matchup against St. Teresa of Avila.
- The Sweet Sixteen was the closest race of the entire bracket with just five votes pushing Our Lady of Grace over Scott Township neighbor Saints Simon and Jude.
- In the Elite Eight, Our Lady of Grace defeated Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Bellevue) with 67 percent of the vote for the title of top Church of the West.
Fish Facts: Make sure to meet Father Richard Infante, who shares small glasses of wine with people as they eat hand-breaded fish and sides. Funds go back to helping the parish, and there’s also an opportunity for attendees to donate to St. Vincent de Paul.
Vote for the Ultimate Pittsburgh Fish Fry
Who will get the fish fry crown? Will it be AOH, the Irish-American social club, or will a church reign supreme for the second year in a row?
It’s time to decide who gets the trophy, bragging rights, and the title of Ultimate Pittsburgh Fish Fry 2018. (St. Alphonsus in Wexford will forever be the Ultimate Pittsburgh Fish Fry 2017.)
Use the Google Form below, or vote here by 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 21. You have a few extra days to vote in this round. The champion will be announced Thursday, March 22.