Update, June 27: Introducing the Ultimate Pittsburgh Frozen Treat: Al’s Cone Zone
Update, June 16: Vote now for the 2018 Ultimate Pittsburgh Frozen Treat champion
Allegiances solidified as the sweetest Sweet Sixteen nominees battled in the latest round of the Ultimate Pittsburgh Frozen Treat bracket, presented by The Philadelphia Contributionship.
Half of the races were decided in a landslide and the other half in hard-won, teeth-grittingly close battles — including one major upset.
In the landslide category:
- Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor scored 73 percent of the total over Antney’s Ice Cream.
- North Side fave Gus & Yia Yia’s reigned supreme over Sticker’s Ice Pop Company with 72 percent of the vote.
- The Milk Shake Factory brought all the votes the yard with a massive 83 percent over BRGR.
- Page Dairy Mart netted 82 percent of the vote in its race against Dari Delite.
These figures again point to a trend that emerged in the last round: Nostalgia is big in this race, with Klavon’s vintage vibes, Gus & Yia Yia’s long history, and Page Dairy Mart’s classic look.
In the close race category:
- Unfortunately for Millie’s, their lead melted. Though Millie’s Homemade Ice Cream earned the most votes of any shop in the Sweet Sixteen round, Handel’s came in strong this time eking out an upset with 53 percent of the vote.
- In the race between Glen’s Homemade Custard and Al’s Cone Zone, Al’s won with 60 percent of the vote.
- Similarly, 60-40 splits were recorded in the races between Leona’s Ice Cream Sandwiches and the victor The Golden Nugget at Kennywood, as well as in the race between Sugar & Spice Ice Cream Truck and the winner Sarris Candies Ice Cream Parlour.
As the weather is heating up, so is this competition with hundreds of votes cast in the Sweet Sixteen round. Now’s the time to show some more love to the shops in the Elite Eight, and vote your faves into the Final Four.
Vote below or here by 10 a.m. Friday, June 8.