It started with debate in our newsroom: Why do Pittsburghers zoom through tunnels while others slam on their brakes?
The phenomenon is so very Pittsburgh, and it turns out, the answer has a lot to do with perception and how you react to it. Finding this answer led us to launch our Peculiar Pittsburgh series, where experts explain things that only happen here. Here are some of the questions we’ve answered:
- Why do Pittsburghers add an “s” to the end of words?
- Is Pittsburgh actually gray all the time or does it just feel that way?
- Why does everyone in Pittsburgh seem to know everyone in Pittsburgh?
But here’s the thing: These questions came from us here at The Incline. They’re the things our lifelong Pittsburgh teammates took for granted or actually did and marked peculiarities the newcomers on our team thought were downright odd. Now, we’re flipping the script, because reporters don’t have a monopoly on curiosity, and we know we’re not the only ones with questions.
Here’s how it works.
- Use the form above to submit your questions, or drop us a line here. Ask us about the things that you wonder about Pittsburgh and our region, light-hearted or serious. Here are a few tips:
- Pick an issue you think is unique to Pittsburgh or our region, and ask an open-ended question about it, not something that can be answered with a simple yes or no.
- Ask questions that spark conversation.
- Any answer can teach even longtime residents something they didn’t know.
- We’ll select a question to answer, or we’ll ask Incline members to pick their favorite.
- Once a question has been selected, a reporter from our team will hunt for the answer, sometimes asking the question asker to join the search. (You’ve been warned.)
- We publish an article about the answer.
Questions we’ve tackled so far:
- “As I drive around the North Side, I see an overabundance of cemeteries. Why does it seem like the North Side is roughly 60% cemeteries?”
- “What is the blue and white ‘billboard’ Downtown? It faces the Allegheny River, can be seen from PNC Park and appears to project random blue and white triangles.”
- “Why does Sixth Avenue take me toward the Seventh Street Bridge and Seventh Avenue takes me toward the Ninth Street Bridge?”
- “Why did Pittsburgh only create light rail for the South Hills? Why was it never created in other suburbs?”
- How much trouble is it for firetrucks to navigate the narrow streets on the Slopes?”
- What’s with the steam coming off that old Heinz plant in Pittsburgh?
- Why can parked cars face both directions on the same side of a Pittsburgh street?
- The dinosaurs around Pittsburgh — Who are they? Where did they come from? Where are they? Why?
- What’s the story on the primary colored house on Mount Washington? Why was it built? Was it actually for “The Real World?”
- Are younger people really staying in Pittsburgh?