Update Feb. 16, 2021: Applications are now closed.
We’re seeking the new Director of The Incline, a community-driven newsletter and media brand that’s about helping Pittsburghers live like they live here.
Our ideal candidate is a creative, community-oriented writer/editor in Pittsburgh who is excited to work on a fast-paced, ambitious, and agile team. You’ve ideally managed projects, produced daily social and digital content, and have a strong record of community engagement in Pittsburgh. The director is responsible for informing, engaging, and growing that community through our daily email newsletter, original reporting, and social storytelling.
WhereBy.Us is a media startup that’s helping curious locals make the most of their cities. Our purpose is to help people live like they live here and build a model for doing so that can serve growing cities around the world. We’re a team that cares about the future of cities like Pittsburgh and the people who live in them. We want to help our communities to be stronger, better connected, and more awesome. We do that through a mix of useful, substantive, and delightful storytelling across social media, in our newsletter and on our websites.
THE DIRECTOR WILL:
- Produce the daily Incline newsletters on deadline.
- Create engaging Pittsburgh stories that aren’t being told elsewhere for multiple digital platforms, with emphasis on Instagram, our newsletter and our website.
- Experiment and collaborate with other local directors across the U.S. on shared strategies to achieve ambitious growth goals for engagement on our social channels, newsletters, and membership program.
- Represent The Incline in Pittsburgh in ways that help us serve our communities, bring fresh ideas and perspectives to our work, and unlock opportunities for innovation in our work.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
To be a great candidate for this role, you have:
- Full-time professional experience in creative writing, journalism and/or content production.
- Digital media knowledge including SEO fundamentals, experience working in a CMS, social media, and knowledge of audience development principles.
- Multiplatform storytelling skills and a proven ability to plan and create stories across the web and social media that people are excited to use and share.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- Passion for Pittsburgh and its people, and a desire to strengthen our communities through The Incline’s storytelling and engagement work
WE LOVE PEOPLE WHO:
- Love to learn and learn on the job.
- Are proactive and like solving problems.
- Are innovative and resilient — a.k.a. eager to try new things and bounce back quickly when some of them fail.
- Are relentlessly curious about the world around them.
- Approach other people and challenging situations with empathy.
- Love helping people discover, engage, and feel more connected to where they live.
- Add diverse perspectives, lived experiences and knowledge to our team. If you are currently underrepresented in media and technology, we encourage you to apply.
We’re more interested in working with great people than in lists of qualifications. If you want to work with us but don’t check all these boxes, that’s OK. We still want to hear from you.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Upload your resume.
- Upload a cover letter including your answers to the following questions:
– A brief summary of your personal engagement with Pittsburgh. What kinds of communities, activities, and interests energize you? What parts of the city are you most curious about?
– A brief explanation of how you would grow the impact and audience of The Incline as its leader.
- Provide links to 3 samples of your work across platforms — we’re looking for great copy, social storytelling, and engagement work. Please briefly explain your role in each.
Competitive salary. Full benefits including health insurance, dental and vision coverage, and 401K plan.