Here's what you need to know about the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Antwon Rose, Jr. in East Pittsburgh.
- He was unarmed when he was shot three times and killed by an East Pittsburgh officer who's now on administrative leave. (Post-Gazette)
- The officer was sworn in as a department officer just hours before the shooting, though he'd worked with other area forces, too. (KDKA)
- Antwon was a volunteer at Braddock's FreeStore and Duquesne's mayor is his mom's friend. (Post-Gazette)
- Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto apologized after tweeting about the shooting in the early hours of Wednesday morning. (TribLive)
- Graphic video of the shooting circulated on social media.
- "Black people are much more likely to be killed by police than their white peers." (Vox)
- "Protest the Murder of Antwon Rose" is scheduled at the Allegheny County Courthouse today, following a rally outside the East Pittsburgh police department on Wednesday evening.
- "This is the tale of Big John Fetterman, the giant who lives in an abandoned car dealership beside a steel mill," this big ballad begins. (Washington Post)
- Bethel Park declared a state of emergency after torrential rain flooded the South Hills. (WPXI)
- Police warned about possible rival gang retaliation following the Hill District slaying of rapper Jimmy Wopo, for whom a candlelight vigil will be held at 8 tonight. (WTAE)
- A Pa. House committee voted to advance legislation banning bump stocks but failed to move forward a universal background check bill. (The Morning Call)
As long as you’re over 18 and follow a few common-sense rules — such as don’t set off fireworks in cars — you can legally light consumer fireworks into the Pennsylvania sky to celebrate this year’s Fourth of July. But Pittsburgh Public Safety and UPMC Mercy Burn Center aren’t thrilled. So much so, that they held a media event Wednesday urging people to “leave it to the professionals.” To prove their point, they blew up fruit with illegal, homemade explosives confiscated by the Pittsburgh police bomb squad. Here's video of what happened to the apples, cantaloupe and watermelon.
❤️ If you love The Incline, won't you become a member today?
🍹 5:30 p.m. Monday (Allegheny Center): Meet our Who's Next: Food and Drink class.
🍦 Vote in the championship round of the Ultimate Pittsburgh Frozen Treat bracket by 10 a.m. Tuesday.
❓ Choose our next Peculiar Pittsburgh story by voting through Tuesday.
📱 Nominate rising stars for our second Who's Next: Technology class by 5 p.m. July 10.
Other events you'll love
🍷 All day today (various locations): Toast to summer with #LongestDayOfRose.
🌞 6:30 tonight (Highland Park): Welcome the season of sun with 108 sun salutations.
💫 8 tonight (North Side): Celebrate summer under the stars at SkyWatch.
💃 4 p.m. Friday (Wilkinsburg): Dance to advocate for safer streets
🏡 5 p.m. Friday (North Side): Sip wine while exploring Allegheny West homes.
🌳 5 p.m. Friday (Stanton Heights): Now that it's officially summer, party with Tree Pittsburgh.
🎭 8 p.m. Friday (Downtown): Attend a drag comedy show with Schwa de Vivre.